Holidays can be a very trying time when you’re a recovering alcoholic especially family get gathering where your friends and family are more than likely going to be drinking.
Below is information you should consider doing so your occupied and not feeling pressured to drink at family gatherings or events.
- Sign up to work the major holidays Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Eve.
- Eat healthy and go to the gym to workout. You will feel good about yourself and it’s a great stress reliever.
- Take your own drinks (water, soda or tea) and never leave them unattended.
- If you have to attend the party be confident and honest about why you don’t want to drink. You will be amazed at how many people will be proud of you for your sobriety and will support you along the way.
- Also take a stress ball with you or something that will keep your hands and mind busy.